Vancouver Convention Centre racks up 5,561 events in ten years
Over nine million guests worldwide have visited the Vancouver Convention Centre in its ten year history, generating more than $2.4 billion in direct spend for British Columbia.
“Over the years, Vancouver has become synonymous with green spaces, breathtaking scenery and as a destination where people can recharge their creative engines. We are a city on the edge of nature with acclaimed sustainable practices and unparalleled culinary experiences,” Ty Speer, President and CEO, Tourism Vancouver said.
“The city is known to inspire, and the Vancouver Convention Centre is the foundation where delegates from different global communities – networks of expert educators, scientists and creators – can gather to collaborate on new opportunities and seek out their own inspiration.”
The events held at the Vancouver Convention Centre range from conventions, including TED Conferences to consumer and trade shows, corporate meetings, banquets and fundraisers.
“From attracting the most sought after global meetings and community events that leave lasting legacies, to setting new industry standards in sustainability and service, it has been a remarkable 10 years,” Ken Cretney, President and CEO, BC Pavilion Corporation said.
“This success is a testament to the passion and dedication of our team at the Vancouver Convention Centre and the support from our exceptional industry partners – we look forward to another successful decade ahead.”
In 2025, the Vancouver Convention Centre will host the single largest meeting ever held in the city. The International Convention of Alcoholics Anonymous is expected to draw 48,000 delegates from around the world. The Canadian convention centre and the BC Place Stadium, were selected for the event back in 2013.
The centre highlights its top accomplishments:
- Economic Driver: over $2.4 billion in direct spending injected into the local economy
- Globally-Acclaimed Meetings Venue: 5,561 events attended by people from across British Columbia and around the globe
- Community Builder: home to community and charitable events that have raised $75 million for local causes; and partner with numerous charities
- Global Sustainability Leader: world’s first double LEED Platinum certified convention centre
- Award winner: More than 40 honours including ‘Best Convention Centre Service’ by the Watkins Research Group
- Service Excellence: first convention centre in North America granted exclusive Corporate Affiliate membership to Les Clefs d’Or Canada
- Industry Accelerator: platform for knowledge sharing in countless sectors, including life sciences, information technologies, food and wine, clean energy, education, natural resources, finance, entertainment and engineering
Published Date: 08/04/2019